The good news is that we can all change even when we feel we can’t. Whenever you mentally step back and evaluate your thinking with questions like:
- What belief would I rather hold?
- What do I need to believe in order to be different in this area?
- What beliefs do I think a successful person in this area already holds?
…then you are questioning the structure of your thinking from a position of authority. You see, unlike the apes we humans can constantly question the quality of our thinking. We can ask:
- Does it SERVE me to think this way?
- Do I like the results I am getting?
- Do I want to keep on thinking this way? If I do, what will I be doing in ten years?
The mere fact of being able to question puts us in a position to change because we are now operating at a level above the beliefs! Think of it like the boss being at the top of the office building issuing orders to plebs down below.
So, if you are willing to consider that you need to some new beliefs in order to do something different – what results do you want next year? And what will you need to believe?
William James said:
“To change one’s life:
1. Start immediately.
2. Do it flamboyantly.
3. No exceptions.”